Instant Pot Pot Roast with vegetables takes the work out of Sunday family dinner! This easy meal includes carrots and potatoes alongside herbs and you can enjoy it with gravy or without!
- 4lb beef chuck roast (butcher’s twine removed), seasoned with salt and pepper on all sides
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 32 oz low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup pinot noir (I use Redtree)
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, whole
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced / OR / 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 carrots, chopped into 1–2 inch pieces
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- (Optional for gravy) 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder and 2 Tablespoons water
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Instructions:
- Set your pressure cooker to Saute mode and add the 2 Tbsp of avocado oil. Sear the roast on all sides, a couple minutes each side.
- Then add both the beef stock and pinot noir to deglaze the pan.
- Next add the tomato paste, honey and spices and give the liquid a stir to distribute.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, set the steam valve to sealing and cook on manual/Pressure Cook high for 80 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow 10 minutes for pressure to naturally release before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. Then take out the roast and veggies. Shred the roast into desired pieces.
- If using the cooking liquid as a sauce or gravy skim off the fat and consider removing all but a 2-3 cups of liquid (more will take considerable time to reduce).
- To reduce the liquid to a gravy turn the pressure cooker to saute and allow to reduce for at least 10 minutes. If the consistency is thinner than desired you can continue reducing on saute mode and/or add in the optional arrowroot water mixture, just be sure the arrowroot in completely mixed into the water before pouring it into the liquid then completely stir through the gravy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Crock Pot / Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and sear each side of the roast, for a couple minutes on each side.
- Once seared, transfer the roast to your slow cooker.
- Reducing the heat of your large skillet to medium, add in more oil if needed and then saute the garlic and onions for 3-5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Transfer garlic and onions to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once cooking has finished remove the lid. Then take out the roast and veggies. Shred the roast into desired pieces.
- If using the cooking liquid as a sauce or gravy skim off the fat.
- Using 2-3 cups of the cooking liquid (more will take considerable time to reduce), transfer it to a stock pot and simmer over medium-high heat for at least 10 minutes. If the consistency is thinner than desired you can continue reducing on saute mode and/or add in the optional arrowroot water mixture, just be sure the arrowroot is completely mixed into the water before pouring into the liquid then completely stir through the gravy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: instant pot pot roast, beef pot roast crock pot, pot roast,