Hardy warm and comforting, this Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage is a quick and easy meal for any night of the week!
This post may include affiliate links, by making a purchase through a link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my policy.
Soup is one of my all time favorite foods! I think I could actually eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner…. Anyone else with me??? This Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage is no exception and thanks to the brilliance of a pressure cooker, the Instant Pot cooks up with lentil soup perfectly in a flash!
How To Make Lentil Soup With Smoked Sausage
You start by browning the sausage in the instant pot using the sauté function and a little oil. This adds SO much flavor and is a step I HIGHLY recommend not skipping. Browning or searing the sausage results in the Maillard reaction, which is essentially caramelizing the exterior of the meat and building tons of additional flavor!
The next step is to remove the sausage and set aside and sauté the onions and garlic, after which you’ll stir in the dried lentils, carrots, bone broth, fresh thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Once the soup has finished cooking you’ll remove the bay leaf and stir back in the sausage until heated through and serve! So easy, so simple and yet this lentil soup has bold and developed flavors as if it’s simmered on the stove all day. So many wins here!
Eat and Enjoy,
More Instant Pot Soups
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham
- Healthy Chicken Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Potato Ham & Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Tortilla-less Chicken Soup
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Soup
Hardy warm and comforting, this Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage is a quick and easy meal for any night of the week! (Thank you Instant Pot!)
- 2 cups brown or green dried lentils
- 1 pound pre-cooked link smoked sausage (I used kielbasa), sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Turn your instant pot/pressure cooker to saute mode and add 1 Tablespoon avocado oil. Allow the oil to heat and add the smoked sausage. Brown each side of sausage before removing it and setting aside until the soup has finished cooking.
- In the remaining oil (add more if needed), saute the onions until soft and then add the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring the bone broth over the onions and garlic and adding the dried lentils, carrots, fresh thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and dried bay leaf.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot, set the steam valve to sealing and turn the instant pot to manual/high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the instant pot to naturally depressurize for about 10 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- Once the pressure has completely released, remove the lid. Carefully taste the lentils (they will be hot!) adjust seasonings as needed.
- Then add the smoked sausage back to the pot to heat through.
- Serve and enjoy!
*It’s important to brown the sausage IN the instant pot as opposed to a separate pot for two reasons. The main reason is to build flavor, which happens when the pot gets deglazed. The second reason is so you don’t end up with more dishes to wash!
Keywords: lentil soup, soup, instant pot,
Pin this recipe for later!