These classic paleo thumbprint cookies use a blackberry chia seed jam and are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free for a fun and healthy holiday treat!
The Chia Seed Jam:
- 3/4 cup berries (I used blackberries)
- 1–2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 2 flax eggs, 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed plus 5 Tablespoons of water, let sit and “gel” in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Chia Seed Jam:
- In a small saucepan heat the berries over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Mash the berries with the back of a spoon as they simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- To the cooking berries add 2 Tablespoons honey and a pinch of salt, stir to incorporate. Carefully taste (it’s hot!) and add more honey if needed.
- Once the jam tastes as sweet as you’d like stir in the chia seeds. Continue stirring while they thicken, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a mason jar. If time allows continue cooling on the kitchen counter without a lid for 15 minutes before adding a lid and storing in the refrigerator. (Placing the lid on immediately traps stream and will result in a slightly thinner jam that will still be delicious so no worries either way!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs as listed above. While they “gel” assemble all other ingredients.
- In a stand mixer (hand mixer or bowl and whisk) combine flax eggs, coconut oil and honey. Mix on medium-low until completely combined.
- Add coconut flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix on medium speed until all is incorporated.
- Transfer the mixing bowl with dough to the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough and roll into 9 balls. Place dough balls evenly spaced on your baking sheet and press your thumb or the back of a very round spoon into the center of the ball to make a well for the jam. (I used a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon, as pictured.)
- Once your “wells” are made you can pat/pinch the edges of the cookies together to smooth them out since they will crack a little in the well-making process.
- Fill your wells with 1 teaspoon each of the chia seed jam you made earlier that has cooled. (*Or as much as needed to fill your wells if you didn’t use a 1 teaspoon to make your wells.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: thumbprint cookies, paleo, vegan, gluten free, Christmas,