BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad, the perfect hardy summer salad. This salad is great for potlucks, barbeques or summer get togethers, serve it as a side dish or a main dish. It also makes great meal prep for lunches and dinners!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa = 1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut off the cob (approximately 2–3 cobs needed)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked and shredded BBQ chicken (*approximately 1lb)
- 1 avocado, cubed or sliced
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cilantro for garnish and BBQ sauce for drizzling, if desired
- Bake chicken in 1 cup of BBQ sauce until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. After chicken has finished cooking, simmer BBQ sauce for 5 minutes to reduce, shred chicken and pour sauce over the shredded chicken. Toss to combine. OR If you opted for precooked chicken then shred and toss in 1/2 cup to 1 cup BBQ sauce.
- Cook quinoa per package instructions, allow to cool and fluff.
- Cook black beans or if using canned, rinse thoroughly.
- Assemble all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and top with cilantro and more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Make-ahead and store in the frig or eat right away. Enjoy!
*You can bake your own chicken in your favorite BBQ sauce (I used The New Primal Classic BBQ Sauce) or shred a pre-made rotisserie chicken and toss in BBQ sauce, both options work great!
*To maximize flavor, toss shredded chicken in BBQ sauce and let sit for a few hours or overnight before assembling the salad.
*Quinoa and black beans can also be made ahead and stored in the frig prior to salad assembly.
Keywords: BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad, summer salad, bbq chicken salad,