Carnitas Sweet Potato Sliders – The perfect grain free open-faced slider stacked high with crunchy lime cabbage, juicy instant pot carnitas, creamy guacamole and fresh cilantro!
- 3–4 pound pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup water or bone broth
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (*omit black pepper for AIP)
- 3–4 large long but evenly round sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thickness
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 5 large limes, juiced (divided, this will be for both the cabbage and guacamole)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves removed for garnish just before assembly
- salt, garlic powder and fresh black pepper to taste (for guacamole – *omit black pepper for AIP)
- Rub the pork shoulder pieces in the salt, garlic powder and black pepper and then place in the instant pot.
- To the bottom of the pot add either 1 cup of water or bone broth.
- Lock the instant pot lid and set the seam valve to sealing, select either manual or high pressure (depending on your model) and select 75 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. just before the pork finishes cooking.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange your sweet potato rounds in a single layer on the baking sheet. You may use multiple baking sheets or work in batches.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- In a bowl just big enough for the cabbage, mix together the shredded cabbage and enough lime juice to cover the top of the cabbage.
- Once the instant pot finishes cooking, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the pork shoulder and shred the meat. Once shredded taste and add salt if desired. (I prefer more salt.)
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven and allow them to sit on a wire baking rack until everything is ready to assemble. (This will prevent steam from getting trapped on a plate and them becoming soggy.)
- OPTIONAL STEP: Place the shredded carnitas in an even layer on a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes, watching the meat the entire time to avoid burning. This will give your meat a slight crisp.
- Mash together your avocados, lime juice, salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste. (This is how I prefer to eat guacamole but feel free to add onions and cilantro to yours if you like.)
- Now it’s time to assemble the sliders. You can work in any order you like but I recommend topping the sweet potato sliders first with some lime cabbage (use a fork to strain the cabbage from the excess lime juice as you use it), then carnitas, guacamole and fresh cilantro leaves. You can also squeeze more lime over the top if you so desire.
- Serve and enjoy!
*This recipe can also be used as meal prep. You can cook your pork shoulder ahead of time in the instant pot, shred, cool and store in the frig for up to 4 days before reheating and making sliders.
*Omit black pepper for AIP
Keywords: carnitas, sweet potato buns, sweet potato sliders, whole30, paleo, gluten free, AIP, instant pot,