Simple and super soft and chewy, these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies sprinkled with candy canes are the perfect Christmas cookie and holiday dessert!
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashew butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (1/4 tsp if using salted cashew butter)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- *(optional) garnish unbaked cookies with a dye free crushed candy cane (1 standard candy cane is enough for one batch of cookies)
- Using a stand mixer, begin by warming the cashew butter until it’s of a runny consistency. You can warm in the microwave for 20 seconds or on the stove top. Then add it to the stand mixer. (Don’t skip this step since it will make a huge difference in how your dough blends together. If your cashew butter was stored in the refrigerator then you will need to heat longer.)
- To the warmed cashew butter, add maple syrup, peppermint extract and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Next, add the cocoa powder, coconut powder, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix just until the dough forms then stir through the dark chocolate chips by hand using a spatula.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking. While the dough chills preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and remove the dough from the refrigerator. Using a cookie scoop, portion out the dough into 12 cookies. (Depending on your baking sheet’s capacity you may need to bake in two batches. If this is the case, portion out the first 6 cookies and leave the rest of the dough to chill in the refrigerator while they bake.)
- After your cookies are portioned, roll each ball between two hands until smooth. Place them on the parchment paper and press the tops of each to flatten slightly. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with the crushed candy cane.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the baked cookies and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes until transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve either warm or cooled. If storing in an air tight container, cool completely before storing.
- Eat and enjoy!
*If looking for the corn syrup free, dye free candy canes I used in this recipe use the brand Wholesome which makes organic peppermint candy canes.
*Other nut butters may be substituted in place of cashew butter in equal amounts however the flavor may change with the nut butter chosen.
Keywords: chocolate cookies, peppermint, vegan, paleo,