This Gluten Free Thanksgiving Stuffing is packed with all the traditional flavors and features leeks, onions, mushrooms and fresh herbs! An easy side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
- About 10 cups of cubed gluten free bread (I used 2 New Cascadia Traditional Gluten Free Rustic Italian Bread Boules.)
- 3 Tablespoons ghee, (avocado or bacon fat also work well)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek 2-inch in diameter, diced (white part only)
- 4 cups bone broth (chicken or turkey)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Parsley for garnish.
- After bread is cubed allow to dry out on the counter in an even layer on a baking sheet for 24-48 hours OR put in a 300 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes. (the time will vary depending upon the moisture content of the bread)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a large skillet, heat up 2 Tablespoons of ghee over medium head and sauté the mushrooms until golden brown (add more ghee if needed). Lightly season with salt and pepper then once cooked and golden transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan add 1 Tablespoon of ghee and saute the onions for 2-3 minutes before adding the leeks. Continue sauting until the onions are translucent. Then add the mushrooms back to the skillet.
- Add the minced herbs to the skillet and stir to combine for one minute until fragrant.
- Add 4 cups of bone broth, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, oil the bottom and sides of your casserole dish with ghee.
- Place the dried cubed bread to a large bowl and ladle the broth veggie mixture over the bread, stir in between ladles.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into the casserole dish, bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. If you want the top of your stuffing crispy turn the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven, sprinkle with parsley leaves and serve.
Keywords: Thanksgiving, stuffing, dressing, side dish