Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken – A delicious healthy dinner! Packed with protein, gluten free, paleo and Whole30. It’s super simple to make and better than take out!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 – 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in 100% juice, separate 1 1/2 cups pineapple and 3/4 cup juice (separate juice into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole30 ketchup
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- chopped green onion to garnish
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Prepare all ingredients.
- To the instant pot bowl, add 1/2 cup pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, avocado oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Give this mixture a stir.
- Add in the chicken, pineapple chunks, red bell pepper and onion and stir through the sauce. Then add and lock the lid, set to sealing and select high pressure/manual for 7 minutes.
- After cooking quick release pressure and open lid.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove all but the sauce from the instant pot and set aside.
- Add the additional 1/4 cup of pineapple juice and turn the instant pot to saute for 10 minutes. Leave the pot uncovered to simmer and reduce until the sauce is the desired thickness. (If after 10 minutes the sauce is thinner than desired, reduce on saute mode for another 5 minutes.)
- After the sauce has thickened, add back in the chicken, pineapple and vegetables that were set aside. Stir until everything is coated in sauce.
- Serve with green onions and sesame seeds over cauliflower rice. (Or basmati rice for a gluten free option if you’re not doing paleo or whole30.) Enjoy!
I prefer a naturally reduced sauce by using a simmer to release stream, however if you are pinched for time you can alternately add a slurry to the sauce as it simmers. To do so, mix 1 teaspoon of arrowroot powder and 2 Tablespoons of water together and stir constantly into the sauce until thickened.
Keywords: healthy sweet and sour chicken, whole30, paleo, instant pot,