Hot German Potato Salad is an easy healthy and simple side dish that’s perfect eaten both warm or cold! It’s made in under 30 minutes and is naturally gluten free, dairy free, egg free and Whole30!
- 1.5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (for boiling the potatoes)
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon compliant whole grain mustard (Whole30 compliant option linked)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1–1.5 teaspoons unrefined sea salt (depending on the saltiness of your bacon)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped finely
- Put the cleaned and cut potatoes in a large stockpot with 1 teaspoon salt and cover the potatoes with water until the water is an inch above the potatoes. Turn on the burner to high and cook for 15 minutes from the time you turn the burner on. The pot will boil once it heats up.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon for about 5 minutes over medium heat until cooked through. Then transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Keep the bacon fat in the skillet.
- To the bacon fat left in the skillet, add the onion and saute until tender (about 3-5 minutes).
- Then to the skillet with the onions add in the vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Drain the potatoes completely and transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over top the potatoes until coated. Mix in the bacon and fresh dill and serve!
Keywords: whole30 potato salad, hot german potato salad, egg free potato salad, potato salad without eggs,