This Instant Pot Butter Chicken is a quick and easy Whole30 compliant take on the classic Indian dish that is made in less than 30 minutes using your favorite pressure cooker but tastes like it simmered all day! You’ll love this rich and comforting dish. Crock pot instructions also included.
- 1/4 cup ghee (to make dairy free replace the ghee with 1/4 cup refined coconut oil)
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups strained tomatoes (I always use these)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk (my favorite coconut milk that has a mild taste)
- chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add the ghee, garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, salt, smoked paprika and black pepper to your cold Instant Pot. Then turn the pot to Sauté mode and sauté the ghee and spices for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot with the strained tomatoes and water and thoroughly scrap up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the cut up chicken to the pot and stir into the sauce.
- Lock the lid, set the steamer valve to sealing and select pressure cook / manual on high for 7 minutes.
- After the cooking is compete, quick release the pressure then remove the lid.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Serve over cauliflower rice topped with cilantro. Enjoy!
- To a cold skillet on the stove top, add the ghee, garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, salt, smoked paprika and black pepper. Turn the skillet to medium-low heat and sauté the spices for 5 minutes while stirring. Then transfer the spice mixture to the crockpot.
- Add the strained tomatoes and cut chicken and stir, cover with the lid and slow cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the lid once cooked and stir in the coconut milk, taste and add more salt if desired.
- Serve over cauliflower rice topped with cilantro and enjoy!
Keywords: whole30 butter chicken, paleo butter chicken, whole30 chicken curry, healthy butter chicken,