Instant Pot Creamy Potato Ham & Kale Soup – This easy creamy dairy free (unless you add cheese) comforting soup comes together in a breeze for a cozy healthy dinner any night of the week!
- 6 medium-sized Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces,
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham, (approximately 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1.5–2 teaspoons salt (depending on preference – I use 2 tsp however I like generous salt, if unsure start with 1.5 and add more after cooking if needed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale leaved, stems removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- (optional / omit if on a whole30) parmesan cheese, grated
- After prepping all vegetables and meat, as specified above, add all but the kale leaves to your pressure cooker/instant pot and give it a quick stir.
- Lock lid and set the pressure valve to sealing.
- Select the Soup/Broth function and adjust time to 15 minutes.
- Once cooking has finished, allow the machine to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes, quick release any remaining pressure. To do this I like to use an oven mitt for safety.
- If you like a broth-like soup you can stir in kale now to wilt and serve, if you want it creamy as pictured skip to the next step.
- Using a blender or if you have an immersion blender and narror/tall bowl or mason jar (I use the wide mouth pint and a half mason jars) transfer 1-2 cups of potatoes and broth only to the jar and blend with an immersion blender (or full sized blender).
- Once potatoes are smooth, pour them back into the soup and stir-through for a creamy consistency.
- Add in the chopped kale, stir until wilted, taste and adjust seasonings and you are ready to serve!
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired or leave it off completely for a paleo or whole30 meal.
Keywords: instant pot, soup, healthy, potato,