Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers is a hardy meal with a rich and flavorful sauce. Serve this meal over rice, pasta or in a hoagie roll for the perfect easy healthy dinner the whole family will love.
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 12 ounces precooked smoked sausage / Italian sausage / kielbasa, cut on a diagonal in your preferred size
- 4 bell peppers of any color (I used 2 red and 2 yellow here), seeds and stem removed and cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes with or without green chilies (I used green chilies here)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken or beef bone broth or stock
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode, add the avocado oil and heat for 2-3 minutes before adding the sausage.
- Brown sausages on all sides then using tongs and transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside.
- To the oil remaining in the pot, add the bell peppers, onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour the bone broth / stock into the pot to deglaze and use a wooden spoon to scrap up any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper and stir all the ingredients together in the pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. Set the steamer valve to sealing and select high pressure / manual for 7 minutes. (Or 5 minutes for crisper veggies or 10 minutes for very soft veggies.)
- Once the cooking time is complete, quick release the pressure. (Be ready, the veggies do get mushy fast if you forget about them.)
- Once the metal pin drops remove the lid and add the sausage back into the pot with the veggies and sauce.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve over rice, pasta or hoagie rolls. Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: instant pot sausage and peppers, gluten free, whole30, healthy,