Instant Pot Split Pea Soup is classic comfort food. Made with leftover ham this flavorful soup is also gluten free, dairy free and so incredibly easy. Make this pressure cooker split pea soup in just over an hour.
- 1 leftover cooked smoked ham bone with meat left on the bone (I’d recommend 2+ cups of ham meat)
- 10 cups water (*but not to exceed the 2/3 max-fill line on your instant pot)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups dried split peas (3 cups for a thicker soup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the ham bone with meat still attached, water and bay leaves to the Instant Pot.
- Cover, lock the lid, set the valve to sealing and select pressure cook or manual on high for 30 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has finished allow a 10 minute natural release and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard. Transfer the ham bone to a large cutting board and set aside to cool.
- To the remaining broth in the Instant Pot add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and dried split peas.
- Stir together then cover, lock the lid, set the valve to sealing and select pressure cook or manual on high for 15 minutes.
- While the soup cooks take the ham off the bone and chop or shred, set the meat aside and discard the bone.
- After the cooking has finished allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir back in the ham meat. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
*This soup is intended to be on the thinner side. Use 2 cups of dried split peas for a soupier consistency and 3 cups for a thicker consistency.
Keywords: instant pot, split pea soup, ham bone, with ham,