Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is a healthy, quick and easy recipe served over basmati rice or cauliflower rice. It has tons of flavor and packs in the vegetables. This flexible meal allows you to use whatever veggies you have on hand and works with either chicken breasts or thighs. Soy free and gluten free this dish is allergy friendly while tasting just like takeout! It’s a wonderful family comfort food meal.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup raw honey of choice (I recommend local honey whenever you can find it)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Veggie Stir Fry:
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil, divided (about 1 tsp for mushrooms and the rest for the broccoli and carrots)
- 3 cups of broccoli florets, washed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions, chopped
- Place coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, honey, avocado oil, fresh grated ginger, minced garlic, black pepper and cayenne pepper into the Instant Pot. Stir until all ingredients are combined then add the chicken and coat in the sauce. Secure the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Select manual or high pressure cook (depending on your instant pot model) for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon avocado oil over medium heat then add in your sliced mushrooms. Space them evenly in the skillet and allow them to brown without stirring on each side before flipping. Once each side has browned transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside. (I prefer to keep my mushrooms separate from the broccoli and carrots until serving to retain a crispy exterior however you can decide if you’d like to merge them to toss in the sauce.)
- To the same, now empty skillet, you cooked the mushrooms in, add the remaining avocado oil. Allow it to heat for 1-2 minutes before adding in the broccoli and carrots and continue cooking until you reach your desired doneness. Transfer the broccoli and carrots to a mixing bowl and set aside. (Once the sauce has reduced we will coat the veggies in sauce.)
- Next, whisk together 2 tablespoons of water with 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the instant pot has finished, quick release the steam using an oven mitt and keep a good distance away from the steam release. Allow steam to fully release until the floating red pressure valve has completely dropped then remove lid.
- Transfer the chicken thighs from the instant pot to a large plate or cutting board.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Sauté function, add the arrowroot/water thickener that was set aside, stir to incorporate. Sauté for 10 minutes without lid to reduce the sauce stirring occasionally. *If after 10 minutes the sauce is still thinner than desired add another mixture of 1 teaspoon arrowroot and 1 Tablespoon water and repeat while the instant pot is on sauté mode.
- While the sauce reduces, shred the chicken.
- After the sauce has reduced, turn off the instant pot and remove 1/4 cup of sauce to pour over the stir fry veggies and toss to coat.
- Stir back in the shredded chicken to the remaining instant pot sauce.
- Serve over Basmati rice or cauliflower rice topped with the vegetable stir fry and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
Keywords: instant pot teriyaki chicken, healthy, paleo, gluten free,