This Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage is packed with flavor and made in only 25 minutes. This soup can also be made with leftover ham. The combination of carrots, thyme and broth make it an incredibly comforting healthy meal the whole family will love.
- 2 cups brown or green dried lentils
- 1 pound pre-cooked link smoked sausage or ham (I used kielbasa), sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté mode and add 1 Tablespoon avocado oil. Allow the oil to heat and add the smoked sausage or ham. Brown each side of meat before removing it and setting aside until the soup has finished cooking.
- In the remaining oil (add more if needed), sauté the onions until soft and then add the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring the bone broth over the onions and garlic and adding the dried lentils, carrots, fresh thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and dried bay leaf.
- Secure and lock the lid on the Instant Pot, set the steam valve to sealing and select high pressure / manual for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the Instant Pot to naturally depressurize for about 10 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- Once the pressure has completely released, remove the lid. Carefully taste the lentils (they will be hot!) adjust seasonings as needed.
- Then add the smoked sausage/ham back to the pot to heat through.
- Serve and enjoy!
*It’s important to brown the meat IN the Instant Pot as opposed to a separate pot. This is important to build flavor, which happens when the pot gets deglazed. This also eliminates extra dishes.
Keywords: lentil soup with sausage, instant pot recipes, leftover ham recipes,