Healthy Orange Chicken – Make healthy take out style comfort food from the comfort of your own home! Made in under an hour with that classic sticky sweet sauce using only simple natural ingredients. It’s sure to be your family’s new favorite!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil, for sauteing chicken
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons of avocado oil (or other high heat oil), then add chicken to sear and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove and set aside while leaving all the liquid released from cooking in the pan.
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the orange juice, coconut aminos, raw honey, apple cider vinegar, ground ginger, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and stir well to combine.
- Allow the sauce to reduce for 20 minutes at a simmer, stirring occasionally. (The sauce will start out very runny and will considerably thicken to the point where you can see the separation when you pull a spatula through it.)
- After reducing the sauce for 20 minutes, add the chicken back to the sauce and stir to combine. Reheat the chicken in the sauce for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
*Cayenne pepper controls the spice level of this dish. The recipe is written to achieve a mild amount of spice suitable for children and adults who can tolerate a little “kick” of heat and will not yield a spicy dish. I recommend starting with 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and building slowly from there if you desire a spicy dish.
Keywords: healthy orange chicken, healthy orange chicken recipe, healthy orange chicken sauce,