Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is a healthy, easy Fall dinner recipe. It’s cozy savory comfort food that combines pumpkin and tomato into one harmonious sauce. Serve over your favorite pasta or as a topping to spaghetti squash in order to make this meal Whole30 and Paleo. This sauce is also gluten, dairy, soy and sugar free.
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or bacon fat, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces dried spaghetti pasta (this is my favorite gluten free spaghetti)
- 24 ounces strained tomatoes without salt
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- (optional) flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Begin boiling a large post of water to cook the pasta in with a teaspoon of salt (and no oil). *The water will be heating up to a boil when you start the rest of the dish and below will specify when to add your noodles to cook.
- In a large deep sided skillet or saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tablespoon of avocado oil. Once the oil is heated, add the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute for five minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute another two minutes.
- To a blender, add the strained tomatoes, pumpkin puree, sauted onions and garlic, salt, oregano, black pepper and smoked paprika. Blend until smooth.
- In the same large skillet, add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of avocado oil and cook the ground beef until fully cooked through.
- While the meat cooks, add your pasta to the boiling water and cook the noodles as directed on their package.
- Once the meat is cooked through pour the blender sauce over the meat and heat through.
- Drain the pasta immediately once cooked and toss into the sauce in the skillet.
- Serve immediately topped with parsley (and/or parmesan if not eating Whole30, Paleo or Dairy Free).
*In place of pasta you can use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to make this meal Whole30 or Paleo.
*If you plan to have leftovers, only cook enough pasta to eat right away and reserve some of the sauce for leftovers.
*The Pumpkin Pasta Sauce will keep in the fridge for 4 days.
Keywords: pumpkin pasta sauce, paleo spaghetti, easy dinner,