Soft Gingerbread Cookies – These soft gingerbread cookies are perfectly sweet, spicy and melt in your mouth! An easy, delicious holiday cookie. No one will know they are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, paleo and refined sugar free!
- 2 flax eggs, (2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed plus 5 Tablespoons water, mix together and allow to “gel” in the frig for 15 minutes.)
- 1/2 cup cashew butter, softened in the microwave for 20 seconds or stovetop until smooth and runny, (any nut butter will work but will alter the flavor accordingly)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- (Optional) fine coconut sugar for sprinkling on top of the flatted cookies before baking – gives that textured look as seen in my photos.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare your flax eggs and let them gel in the frig for 15 minutes while you assemble your ingredients.
- In a stand mixer (hand mixer or bowl and whisk), combine the cashew butter, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla extract and flax eggs. Mix on medium speed until completely combined.
- Stop the mixer and add the coconut flour, arrowroot powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Then mix on medium-low until your dough forms. Scrap down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once your dough is formed, chill it in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before rolling.
- Remove the dough and portion out half the cookie dough balls (for me this was 9 balls) onto your prepared baking sheet using a cookie scoop, ice cream scoop or melon baller. I used a 1 inch cookie scoop for equal sizing that made 18 cookies in total.
- Then roll each ball between two hands until smooth and flatten by pressing down on the top of the ball until you have a disk. Space out all cookies evenly on your baking sheet.
- Once all cookies are rolled and flattened, sprinkle the tops with coconut sugar if desired.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with the second batch of cookies.
- Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: soft gingerbread cookies, paleo, vegan, gluten free,