Watermelon Mozzarella Basil Skewers are a refreshing summer appetizer perfect for all the summer parties, potlucks and BBQs!
- 12 Long wood skewers
- 24 pieces of cubed watermelon, make sure each cube is at least an inch square to be big enough to skewer
- 24 fresh ciliegine (the small size) fresh mozzarella balls in brine
- 36 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling (make sure to use a glaze or thick reduction and not balsamic vinegar)
- Start by skewering one mozzarella ball down the skewer leaving a couple inches at the end.
- Next, fold in half one basil leaf and skewer it down next to the mozzarella.
- Then skewer the watermelon, trying to keep it centered so it doesn’t break.
- Fold in half another basil leaf and add it to the skewer.
- Add another mozzarella ball to the skewer.
- Fold in half the third basil leaf and skewer that as well.
- Finish up the skewer by adding the second piece of watermelon, carefully as you did with the first.
- Repeat for each skewer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Once ready, or if serving immediately, drizzle with balsamic glaze or a thick balsamic reduction.
- Serve and enjoy!
*These are best eaten right away or shortly after making. The watermelon will begin releasing juice the longer it sits.
Keywords: watermelon, skewers, mozzarella, appetizer, kabob, basil,