Whole30 Instant Pot Chipotle Pork Carnitas – Whether you are on a Whole30, just love the instant pot or always love a good meal this recipe is for you!
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, fat trimmed and cut into 6 equal chunks
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil for searing
Chipotle Chile Pepper Simmer Sauce:
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 4 dried chipotle chile peppers
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken bone broth or chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
Plate and Garnish:
- Small purple cabbage(s) with leaves removed to use as cups
- Garnish with lime wedges, avocado and cilantro
- De-seed dried chipotle chile peppers and place in a small temperature safe bowl. Cover chile peppers with 3/4 cup boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to rehydrate.
- Add the remaining simmer sauce ingredients, except the bay leaves, to a high-speed blender with the rehydrated chile peppers and their soaking liquid and blend on high-speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth then set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Sauté function. Add 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil and sear the roast chunks on all sides to obtain a lovely golden brown color.
- Once seared, pour simmer sauce into the Instant Pot over top the roast. Give the roast a little shimmy to allow the sauce to spread underneath it.
- Add the two bay leaves to the pot, secure the lid, set the valve to sealing and select manual/pressure cook on high for 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes).
- Once cooking has finished, quick release the steam. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and shred.
- Turn Instant Pot (which now contains only the sauce), to the Sauté function to thicken. Combine arrowroot and warm water, mix then pour into the simmer sauce and stir until combined. Allow sauce to simmer on sauté mode for 10 minutes.
- Pour the reduced and thickened sauce over the shredded pork, toss the pork in the sauce and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for later use.
- Serve the pork in cabbage cups with avocado, cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!
*This pork makes a great make-ahead meal prep option. It is even more flavorful the next day after sitting in the sauce overnight in the fridge.
Keywords: healthy pulled pork, healthy pulled pork recipe, whole30 carnitas, instant pot carnitas, whole30 pulled pork,