A healthy take on the classic Thanksgiving dish. Made with fresh green beans in a homemade mushroom cream sauce topped with caramelized onions.
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 pounds green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey bone broth (use veggie broth to make this recipe Vegan)
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (add more if desired after tasting *see instructions)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Caramelized Onion Topping
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half and then sliced thinly in strips as pictured above
- pinch of salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with avocado oil and set aside.
- Heat a large stockpot with 4 quarts of water over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, add the green beans and boil for 5-10 minutes. (5 minutes if you prefer a crisper finished green bean and 10 minutes if you prefer a softer finished green bean.) Then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat avocado oil over medium heat then add in the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes, during the last couple minutes add in the minced garlic.
- Then with the mushrooms and garlic are still in the pan, add in the bone broth and deglaze the pan, scrapping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in salt and dried thyme. Bring the broth mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- While the broth simmers, make the cashew cream sauce by combining the cashews, coconut milk, water and lemon juice together in a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Pour the cashew cream sauce into the simmering broth mixture and stir to combine. The sauce will thicken considerably. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Add green beans to the bottom of your baking dish and pour the mushroom cream sauce over top. Toss the green beans until coated.
- Bake the green bean casserole at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the casserole bakes, caramelize the onions.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, add the avocado oil to coat the bottom of the skillet then add the sliced onion. Stir the onions until they are coated in oil and then let them cook for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- The onions will caramelize and take on a golden color but should not brown. If your stove is too hot reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until golden and the onions take on a sweet nutty flavor.
- Once the casserole is done, remove from the oven and top with the caramelized onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Make ahead tip: You can pre-make the casserole up until the point of baking. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake but increase the bake time to 30 minutes if baking directly from the cold refrigerator.
*The caramelized onions can also be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator and then reheated on the stove top prior to topping the green bean casserole.
Keywords: green bean casserole, whole30, keto, dairy free, gluten free, no mushroom soup,