A healthy take on the classic Thanksgiving dish. With fresh green beans in a low-carb homemade mushroom cashew cream sauce topped with caramelized onions. This Keto Green Bean Casserole is gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
This post may include affiliate links, by making a purchase through a link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my policy.
What is Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole is a popular American side dish that has a prominent place on most holiday family tables, specifically for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The original recipe calls for canned green beans, canned condensed soup, canned french fried onions, milk and soy sauce. These ingredients were found in most American pantries at the time the casserole was invented in 1955.
How To Make Keto Green Bean Casserole
To make Keto Green Bean Casserole, start by prepping your ingredients. You’ll need to trim the ends off of the green beans, slice the mushrooms and cut your onion into strips. Then cook the green beans in boiling water for 5-10 minutes, saute the mushrooms and make the cashew cream sauce, combine, bake and caramelize the onions to top the casserole with after it comes out of the oven.
Are Green Beans Low-Carb?
Yes, yes they are! Green beans are much lower in carbs than most legumes which makes this the perfect Keto holiday side dish!
Does Using Coconut Milk Make The Recipe Taste Like Coconut?
No, it doesn’t. At least not if you use this coconut milk. I stick to using this brand because it has the best consistency I’ve found and such a mild taste that it adds creaminess to recipes like this dairy free green bean casserole without adding a coconut flavor.
Can I Make Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole In Advance?
Yes! You can pre-make the casserole up until the point of baking. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake but increase the bake time to 30 minutes if baking directly from the cold refrigerator.
You can also make the caramelized onions ahead and store in the refrigerator. Once the casserole is baking, reheated on the onions on the stove top prior to topping the green bean casserole with them.
Healthy Keto Green Bean Casserole Substitutions
- Bacon – You could add bacon as an addition or in place of the caramelized onions if they aren’t your thing.
- Slivered Almonds – If you’re looking for more crunch ideas, almonds would make a great addition.
- Coconut milk – While I highly recommend sticking with the coconut milk if possible you could substitute heavy cream, half & half (if not dairy free) or a homemade nut milk. I recommend homemade because it’s creamier, just omit the dates and any flavorings such as vanilla when using the milk for this recipe.
More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Whole30 Gravy
- Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
- Gluten Free Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Did you enjoy this recipe?
I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below and leave a comment.Print
A healthy take on the classic Thanksgiving dish. With fresh green beans in a low-carb homemade mushroom sauce topped with caramelized onions. This Keto Green Bean Casserole is gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 pounds green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey bone broth (use veggie broth to make this recipe Vegan)
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (add more if desired after tasting *see instructions)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Caramelized Onion Topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with avocado oil and set aside.
- Heat a large stockpot with 4 quarts of water over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, add the green beans and boil for 5-10 minutes. (5 minutes if you prefer a crisper finished green bean and 10 minutes if you prefer a softer finished green bean.) Then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat avocado oil over medium heat then add in the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes, during the last couple minutes add in the minced garlic.
- Then with the mushrooms and garlic are still in the pan, add in the bone broth and deglaze the pan, scrapping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in salt and dried thyme. Bring the broth mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- While the broth simmers, make the cashew cream sauce by combining the cashews, coconut milk, water and lemon juice together in a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Pour the cashew cream sauce into the simmering broth mixture and stir to combine. The sauce will thicken considerably. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Add green beans to the bottom of your baking dish and pour the mushroom cream sauce over top. Toss the green beans until coated.
- Bake the green bean casserole at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the casserole bakes, caramelize the onions.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, add the avocado oil to coat the bottom of the skillet then add the sliced onion. Stir the onions until they are coated in oil and then let them cook for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- The onions will caramelize and take on a golden color but should not brown. If your stove is too hot reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until golden and the onions take on a sweet nutty flavor.
- Once the casserole is done, remove from the oven and top with the caramelized onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Make ahead tip: You can pre-make the casserole up until the point of baking. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake but increase the bake time to 30 minutes if baking directly from the cold refrigerator.
*The caramelized onions can also be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator and then reheated on the stove top prior to topping the green bean casserole.
Keywords: keto green bean casserole, whole30 green bean casserole, dairy free green bean casserole,
Pin this recipe for later!