These Homemade Sunbutter Cups are the perfect peanut free, nut free, vegan and paleo treat! All you need is 5 ingredients and 15 minutes and you’ll be enjoying these! It’s the perfect allergy friendly recipe for kids and adults alike.
- Start by lining a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- Use a double boiler or double boiler method using a medium sauce pot filled with a couple inches of water and topped with a heat-proof glass bowl that sets on top of the saucepan stably without touching the water. Add the chocolate chips to the glass bowl and stir them as they melt. Using oven mitts, remove the glass dish once the chocolate has completely melted and is smooth and place it on a trivet.
- Using a spoon, scoop about 1 teaspoon until each of the paper liners.
- With the end of the spoon swirl the warm chocolate up the sides of the paper liner and evenly across the bottom.
- Once all the cups are lined with chocolate, place the muffin pans into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the chocolate sets in the freezer prepare the sunbutter filling.
- Using a small bowl and spoon or spatula, mix the sunflower seed butter with the cinnamon and vanilla extract until fully mixed.
- Remove the muffin pans from the freezer with hardened chocolate liners and fill about 1 teaspoon into each cup. You can spoon in the mixture but I prefer transferring the sunbutter filling into a gallon-sized zip lock bag, snipping off a bit of the corner and pipping in the filling to each cup. (*If needed, after filling the cups you can flatten out the filling by using the end of a spoon and evening out the filling. This isn’t a necessary step unless you want the tops of your cups flat like store-bought cups typically are.)
- After the cups are filled with sunbutter, transfer them again to the freezer for 10 minutes. (*If you are rushed or decide to skip this step your top layer of chocolate may mix with the sunbutter as you smooth it out and look a little different but will still taste great!)
- While the sunbutter filled cups are in the freezer, you may need to rewarm your chocolate. To do so place the glass bowl back over the sauce pot to reheat the water and warm the chocolate slowly.
- Remove the cups from the freezer and spoon just enough melted chocolate over the top to cover the sunbutter. Immediately sprinkle with flaky salt and place back into the freezer for another 10 minutes before eating. (*Sunbutter cups may also be stored in the freezer. The chocolate will stay harder but the center will remain soft. They can also be stored in the refrigerator or out on the counter if your house stays cool enough.) Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: sunbutter cups, sunflower butter cups, peanut free recipe,