These Homemade Sunbutter Cups are the perfect peanut free, nut free, dairy free and paleo treat! All you need is 5 ingredients and 15 minutes and you’ll be enjoying these! It’s the perfect allergy friendly recipe for kids and adults alike.
Originally published on February 7, 2019. Last updated on October 30, 2022.
The best clean ingredient, peanut free Sunbutter Cups! The perfect dessert meal-prep! I’m 100% writing this while eating these Sunbutter Cups…. because I kind of can’t stop. They are GOOD! I love stocking my fridge with these for an easy after dinner treat.
This post may include affiliate links, by making a purchase through a link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my policy.
Nut Free Dessert
I’ve always loved the combination of dark chocolate and nuts (or in this case seeds)! As a kid my candy of choice was always Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. As I got older and more “refined”, I moved to the Trader Joe’s version of dark chocolate peanut butter cups. If you know the ones I’m talking about in the plastic square container then you know what I mean, seriously good! But then I began getting more health conscious and avoided chocolate with soy lecithin so it was off those and onto Almond Butter Cups like these or my Chocolate Almond Butter Cups. THEN we found out there was an almond allergy in the family so thus I needed nut free desserts and these Sunbutter Cups were born!
Ingredients needed to make Sunflower Seed Butter Cups
This recipe is made with only 5 ingredients:
Tools to make this recipe:
- Mini muffin pan
- Mini muffin liners
- Double boiler or medium sauce pot and heat-proof glass bowl
- Piping bag or large zip lock bag
How to Make this Allergy Friendly Recipe
*Full recipe listed below in the recipe card.
This is the perfect fun recipe to make with kids! They will love the sweet smell of chocolate that fills the air, it’s truly a taste testers dream come true! This recipe begins with lining the mini muffin pan and melting the chocolate. While the chocolate sets, mix the sunbutter filling and use it to fill the chocolate cups. Then add the top layer of chocolate to complete the cups. Allow that top layer to set and the Sunbutter Cups are ready to enjoy!
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
Pin this recipe for later!
Did you enjoy this recipe?
I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below and leave a comment.
Don’t want to miss a thing?
Sign up here to have recipes and cooking tips sent right to your inbox!
These Homemade Sunbutter Cups are the perfect peanut free, nut free, vegan and paleo treat! All you need is 5 ingredients and 15 minutes and you’ll be enjoying these! It’s the perfect allergy friendly recipe for kids and adults alike.
- Start by lining a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- Use a double boiler or double boiler method using a medium sauce pot filled with a couple inches of water and topped with a heat-proof glass bowl that sets on top of the saucepan stably without touching the water. Add the chocolate chips to the glass bowl and stir them as they melt. Using oven mitts, remove the glass dish once the chocolate has completely melted and is smooth and place it on a trivet.
- Using a spoon, scoop about 1 teaspoon until each of the paper liners.
- With the end of the spoon swirl the warm chocolate up the sides of the paper liner and evenly across the bottom.
- Once all the cups are lined with chocolate, place the muffin pans into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the chocolate sets in the freezer prepare the sunbutter filling.
- Using a small bowl and spoon or spatula, mix the sunflower seed butter with the cinnamon and vanilla extract until fully mixed.
- Remove the muffin pans from the freezer with hardened chocolate liners and fill about 1 teaspoon into each cup. You can spoon in the mixture but I prefer transferring the sunbutter filling into a gallon-sized zip lock bag, snipping off a bit of the corner and pipping in the filling to each cup. (*If needed, after filling the cups you can flatten out the filling by using the end of a spoon and evening out the filling. This isn’t a necessary step unless you want the tops of your cups flat like store-bought cups typically are.)
- After the cups are filled with sunbutter, transfer them again to the freezer for 10 minutes. (*If you are rushed or decide to skip this step your top layer of chocolate may mix with the sunbutter as you smooth it out and look a little different but will still taste great!)
- While the sunbutter filled cups are in the freezer, you may need to rewarm your chocolate. To do so place the glass bowl back over the sauce pot to reheat the water and warm the chocolate slowly.
- Remove the cups from the freezer and spoon just enough melted chocolate over the top to cover the sunbutter. Immediately sprinkle with flaky salt and place back into the freezer for another 10 minutes before eating. (*Sunbutter cups may also be stored in the freezer. The chocolate will stay harder but the center will remain soft. They can also be stored in the refrigerator or out on the counter if your house stays cool enough.) Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: sunbutter cups, sunflower butter cups, peanut free recipe,