The best clean ingredient, nut free Sunbutter Cups! The perfect dessert meal-prep! I’m 100% writing this while eating these Sunbutter Cups…. because I kind of can’t stop. They are GOOD!
This post may include affiliate links, by making a purchase through a link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my policy.
I’ve always loved the combination of dark chocolate and nuts (or in this case seeds)! As a kid my candy of choice was always Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. As I got older and more “refined”, I moved to the Trader Joe’s version of dark chocolate peanut butter cups. If you know the ones I’m talking about in the plastic square container then you know what I mean, seriously good! But then I began getting more health conscious and avoided chocolate with soy lecithin so it was off those and onto Almond Butter Cups like these or these. THEN we found out there was an almond allergy in the family so thus, these Sunbutter Cups were born!
Honestly, when I first tried Sunbutter I wasn’t a fan. Maybe you feel the same way. But truth was I just hadn’t found the right brand yet. I was referred to New Seasons’ house brand Sunbutter and it is amazing! New Seasons is a local grocery store near me so it won’t be available to everyone. If you have another favorite sunflower seed butter brand please leave it down below in the comments as a reference for others!
If you’ve never made your own Butter Cups they are beyond easy and you can certainly use this recipe with any nut or seed butter of your choice! All you really need is either a cup mold or mini muffin pan with liners that will give the traditional butter cup crinkles, chocolate, nut/seed butter and flaky salt! So easy and oh SO delicious! These are easily made ahead and stored in the freezer for any occasion! All the praise hands for busy moms!!
So be sure to give these a try and let me know what sunbutter or nut butter you use to fill them with!
Eat and Enjoy,
More Chocolate Butter Cup RecipesPrint
The best clean ingredient, nut free Sunbutter Cups! The perfect dessert meal-prep!
- 1 3/4 cups paleo/vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup salted sunflower seed butter (sunbutter)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (approximately) of flaky salt (I like Maldon)
- Start by lining a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- Use a double boiler or double boiler method using a medium sauce pot filled with a couple inches of water and topped with a heat-proof glass bowl that sets on top of the saucepan stably without touching the water. Add the chocolate chips to the glass bowl and stir them as they melt. Using oven mitts, remove the glass dish once the chocolate has completely melted and is smooth and place it on a trivet.
- Using a spoon, scoop about 1 teaspoon until each of the paper liners.
- With the end of the spoon swirl the warm chocolate up the sides of the paper liner and evenly across the bottom.
- Once all the cups are lined with chocolate, place the muffin pans into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the chocolate sets in the freezer prepare the sunbutter filling.
- Using a small bowl and spoon or spatula, mix the sunflower seed butter with the cinnamon and vanilla extract until fully mixed.
- Remove the muffin pans from the freezer with hardened chocolate liners and fill about 1 teaspoon into each cup. You can spoon in the mixture but I prefer transferring the sunbutter filling into a gallon-sized zip lock bag, snipping off a bit of the corner and pipping in the filling to each cup. (*If needed, after filling the cups you can flatten out the filling by using the end of a spoon and evening out the filling. This isn’t a necessary step unless you want the tops of your cups flat like store-bought cups typically are.)
- After the cups are filled with sunbutter, transfer them again to the freezer for 10 minutes. (*If you are rushed or decide to skip this step your top layer of chocolate may mix with the sunbutter as you smooth it out and look a little different but will still taste great!)
- While the sunbutter filled cups are in the freezer, you may need to rewarm your chocolate. To do so place the glass bowl back over the sauce pot to reheat the water and warm the chocolate slowly.
- Remove the cups from the freezer and spoon just enough melted chocolate over the top to cover the sunbutter. Immediately sprinkle with flaky salt and place back into the freezer for another 10 minutes before eating. (*Sunbutter cups may also be stored in the freezer. The chocolate will stay harder but the center will remain soft. They can also be stored in the refrigerator or out on the counter if your house stays cool enough.)
- Eat and enjoy!
Keywords: sunbutter cups, sunflower seed, sunbutter, sunflower seed butter, dessert, easy, chocolate, almond butter cups, peanut butter cups, nut free dessert, vegan, paleo,
Pin this recipe for later!