This Healthy Chicken Potato Soup is the perfect cold weather, immunity boosting soup! Full of bone broth, vegetables and and warming spices. And it couldn’t be easier than in the Instant Pot!
Healthy Chicken Potato Soup
It’s no secret that people spend most of winter either sick or trying not to get sick… I’m thankful to be on the latter side of this scenario usually and I attribute a lot of this health to my love of soup. Specifically my love of bone broth soups like this Healthy Chicken Potato Soup. It’s comfort meets even more health benefits!
This post may include affiliate links, by making a purchase through a link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my policy.
What Are The Benefits of Cabbage In This Healthy Chicken Potato Soup
You might not know by looking at it but this soup includes cabbage and all the health benefits that cabbage brings to the table. Full of Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Folate to name a few. Cabbage is also known to improve digestion which is an often overlooked part of a healthy immune system. Pared with onion, carrot, potatoes and a nutrient rich broth this Healthy Chicken Potato Soup is a real winter winner!
And did I mention it’s easy? Like through everything into your instant pot, lock the lid, set the time easy. It’s perfect for meal prep, making ahead to freeze or any meal you just want to set it and forget it!
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
Frozen chicken can be used in this soup recipe for the same length of time. The Instant Pot will just take longer to reach pressure when you are cooking frozen foods as compared to non-frozen foods. It takes longer for the Instant Pot to pressurize when the ingredients inside are frozen verses thawed. So frozen chicken will takes a few minutes longer to pressurize but the time you select on the Instant Pot for the cook time remains the same.
Healthy Turkey Soup
Usually after making a large turkey we all end up looking for healthy turkey leftover recipes and this soup works beautifully as a turkey soup. In order to make this healthy leftover turkey soup follow the directions completely except omit using chicken. Cook all other ingredients as written for the same time. Once the soup finishes cooking simply stir in one pound of leftover cooked shredded turkey. Once the turkey is warmed through serve and enjoy!
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Creamy Potato Leek Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Orange
- Instant Pot Tortilla-less Chicken Soup
When you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below and leave a comment.Print
This Healthy Chicken Potato Soup is the perfect cold weather, immunity boosting soup! Full of bone broth, vegetables and and warming spices. And it couldn’t be easier in the Instant Pot!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (to use leftover turkey in place of chicken – see the notes section below)
- 1 lb red potatoes with skins on, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, washed, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 a medium cabbage (or about 2 cups shredded), thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to your instant pot and give them a stir.
- Lock the lid, set the valve to sealing and select manual/high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking has finished, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the check thighs and shred, then return them to the soup.
- Taste. Add more salt if desired, serve and enjoy!
*You can set the keep warm function and leave the soup on warm after cooking for an hour, which is awesome! Once you’re ready the soup will still be warm.
*This soup also freezes beautifully even with the potatoes. To freeze, transfer the soup to freezer safe containers (I recommend half gallon glass mason jars with Ball white lids. Label the soup with the name and date made. Then cool the soup completely first in the fridge before transferring to the freezer. Can be frozen for up to 4 months.
*To use leftover turkey in place of chicken in this recipe simply omit the chicken and follow the rest of the recipe exactly. Once the soup has finished cooking, stir in the cooked shredded leftover turkey and allow to warm through before serving.
Keywords: instant pot, soup, chicken, healthy,
Pin this recipe for later!